Sixteen of Kingdom’s security officers that are based at the Manchester Royal Infirmary recently attended a conflict resolution training course to further help and assist them in carrying out their roles. The course was held on the 28th July 2016 and was provided by Health and Safety Solutions North West.
Kingdom provides bed watch security at the Manchester Royal Infirmary. Bed watch duties are wide ranging and are put into place to protect patients, staff and visitors. The requests are ad hoc depending on the hospital requirements at any given time. Due to the unpredictable nature of the requirements it is important for Kingdom to have a large pool of trained security officers to call upon at short notice. As well as providing bed watch security, Kingdom also provides security at the hospital’s four staff car parks.
The aim of this course was to enable participants to develop the knowledge and skills needed for the prevention of violence and aggression and the management of challenging behaviour. This included knowing:
- how communication can be used to solve problems and reduce the likelihood of conflict.
- the factors that influence human responses in conflict situations
- how to assess and reduce risks in conflict situations
- how to communicate effectively and deescalate conflict in emotive situations
- good practice to follow after conflict situations
- describe the roles that may help in dealing with conflict in the NHS
- state the importance of positive communication as a way of reducing the likelihood of conflict
- identify how managing patient/family expectations can reduce the likelihood of conflict
- identify the differences between assertiveness and aggression
- state the importance of viewing a situation from the aggressors perspective
- identify strategies that can be used to solve problems
- identify human responses to emotional or threatening situations
- identify factors that can trigger or inhibit an angry response in others
- identify the stages of escalation in conflict situations
- state how to apply a dynamic risk assessment to a conflict situation and identify measures that can reduce risks for people who may be involved in the conflict
- state the importance of following policies & guidance and understand the law
- identify how to use non-verbal communication
- identify communication techniques to defuse conflict
- identify how to overcome barriers to communication
- state the importance of space and exit routes when dealing with an angry person
- state the importance of accessing help and support after an incident
- identify the benefits of reflecting on and learning from conflict situations
- identify the benefits of sharing good practice and contributing to solutions to recurring problems
The course was well attended and the officers gained a lot of knowledge to assist them in their every day jobs. Kingdom believes in adding value to their clients by securing, deploying, training and retaining the right people. This has resulted in Kingdom having one of the most loyal, well, trained and thoroughly professional workforces in the industry.
Kingdom knows that high quality services have to be delivered in challenging public sector environments with strict compliance requirements and where safety and security go hand in hand. Their public sector team has extensive experience and an in-depth understanding of the public sector. They undertake a full range of security and associated services, including incident management and business continuity planning, and are able to respond effectively to the needs of their customers, often at short notice and operating to full customer confidentiality.
Innovative, independent and driven to explore new ways Kingdom successfully manage thousands of service personnel to the highest standard specialising in security, cleaning and environmental protection. Our national network of regional support offices manage thousands of service personnel to the highest standard, benchmarked by all the major UK quality accreditation bodies.
Established in 1993 and operating nationally, commercial and service strength supported with organic and acquisition growth has seen Kingdom become one of the largest independently owned companies in the UK within their areas of service expertise. Commercially strong they have a strategy to continually grow and strengthen by expanding their services and offering a complete support service to their customers.
Kingdom take a fresh approach to the support services market: adapting to the proliferation of new technologies and emerging security threats, whilst also offering their customers a leaner, smarter and more connected way of working.
For more information about Kingdom and all their services, please visit www.kingdom.co.uk or call 0845 051 7702.